Aug 13, 2022
The need for strong organizational leadership skills has never been greater. Adaptive and nimble leadership is required to succeed in our rapidly changing global marketplace. Not only must leaders confidently get work done through others, they must work effectively in a team environment, and make effective, data-based decisions in the face of uncertainty. They must be strategic thinkers able to inspire and motivate others to a shared vision, and also able to quickly pivot and constantly drive innovation as market conditions change. Those who are unable to quickly adjust will be replaced by those with the tools, ability, and strategic mindset to thrive in a complex, uncertain environment.
This MS Leadership program is designed to equip individuals with the skills, knowledge, and mindset to manage and lead others in order to build high performing organizations, with the opportunity to specialize in an individualized set of courses to enhance one’s career.
Student Learning Outcomes
Graduates of the Master of Science in Leadership program will have the knowledge and skills to:
- Identify, understand and differentiate between management and leadership.
- Build and lead high performing teams.
- Facilitate effective collaboration in the selection and application of appropriate business methods and tools.
- Exercise emotional intelligence and implement adaptive leadership capabilities in dealing with diverse audiences and rapidly changing, complex and chaotic organizational situations.
- Identify ethical dilemmas and evaluate appropriate options using moral reasoning.
- Identify and defend which decision making methods to use in a variety of common scenarios.
- Generate a thoughtful and rigorous self-assessment of their team and organizational leadership strengths and areas of development.
- Formulate a three- to five-year personal leadership/career/whole life goal.
- Demonstrate a strategic mindset.
- Integrate leadership and management knowledge, skills, and mindsets into an individualized leadership philosophy and toolkit.
- Articulate the benefits of their concentration in a way that adds value to current and future employees.
Declaring Program Concentrations
Students may declare up to two concentrations in a given degree program. Students seeking to declare more than two concentrations will be required to appeal to the dean for approval. Students’ diplomas will list the concentrations that they had successfully completed at the time their degrees were conferred. Students may not declare additional concentrations after their degrees have been conferred.
Students may select from the following concentrations:
Requirements for the Master of Science in Leadership
The Master of Science in Leadership requires completion of 30 units in the advanced program, with a cumulative grade-point average of 3.00 or better in courses taken at Golden Gate University that are applicable to the program’s requirements. For further information regarding graduation requirements, see Academic Requirements for Graduate Programs .
Graduate Writing Proficiency Requirement
Students are expected to possess proficiency in writing to ensure they can be successful in their course of study. Students may meet this requirement by satisfying one of the screening criteria listed under Graduate Writing Proficiency Requirement .
Advanced Program - 30 units
Core Courses - 18 units
It is strongly recommended that students take the courses below in the following sequence:
Organizational Behavior and Development Concentration - 12 units
This concentration is designed for students with a keen interest in delving deeper into the fields of human and organizational behavior and development.
Any concentration course substitutions must be approved by the MS Leadership Program Director or appropriate academic Program Director.
Required Courses - 6 units
Elective Courses - 6 units
Select two of the following: