Mar 05, 2024
The need for strong organizational leadership skills has never been greater. Adaptive and nimble leadership is required to succeed in our rapidly changing global marketplace. Not only must leaders confidently get work done through others, they must work effectively in a team environment, and make effective, data-based decisions in the face of uncertainty. They must be strategic thinkers able to inspire and motivate others to a shared vision, and also able to quickly pivot and constantly drive innovation as market conditions change. Those who are unable to quickly adjust will be replaced by those with the tools, ability, and strategic mindset to thrive in a complex, uncertain environment.
This MS Leadership program is designed to equip individuals with the skills, knowledge, and mindset to manage and lead others in order to build high performing organizations, with the opportunity to specialize in an individualized set of courses to enhance one’s career.
Student Learning Outcomes
- Identify, understand and differentiate between management and leadership
- Build and lead high performing teams
- Facilitate effective collaboration in the selection and application of appropriate business methods and tools
- Exercise emotional intelligence and implement adaptive leadership capabilities in dealing with diverse audiences and rapidly changing, complex and chaotic organizational situations
- Identify ethical dilemmas and evaluate appropriate options using moral reasoning
- Identify and defend which decision making methods to use in a variety of common scenarios
- Generate a thoughtful and rigorous self-assessment of their team and organizational leadership strengths and areas of development
- Formulate a three- to five-year personal leadership/career/whole life goal
- Integrate leadership and management knowledge, skills, and mindsets into an individualized leadership philosophy and toolkit.
- Articulate benefits of their individualized specialization in a way that adds value to current and future employees
Requirements for the Master of Science in Leadership
The MS in Leadership degree requires completion of 30 units in the advanced program.
Business Proficiency Requirement
Students admitted to this program are required to possess an understanding of U.S. business practices equivalent to BUS 201 Economic and Regulatory Essentials of U.S. Business. This requirement must be completed in your first term, and you must have completed this requirement no later than your first nine units at GGU. A grade of C- or better is required for BUS 201. However, graduate students must maintain a 3.00 (B) cumulative grade point average to remain in good standing.
Graduate Writing Proficiency Requirement
Students admitted to the master of science in marketing program must meet the graduate writing proficiency requirement within the first nine units of the program by successfully passing the Graduate Writing Proficiency Exam or by completing ENGL 201 Graduate Writing with a grade of B or better. Students may meet this requirement by satisfying one of the screening criteria. See Graduate Writing Proficiency Requirement for more information.
Advanced Program - 30 units
Specialized Concentration - 12 units
Any 300/400 level approved concentration or individualized specialization with approval of appropriate academic Program Director. Note: graduates’ individualized specialization titles will not appear on their diplomas. They will appear in footnotes on their transcripts only.