The Graduate Certificate in Advanced Analytics for Accountants is designed for accounting and tax professionals who seek to use analytics to improve strategic planning and decision-making. Students will expand their knowledge of data analytics through the practical application of business tools increasingly used in the accounting profession. Building upon the topics covered in the introductory course on data analytics for accountants, students will gain key skills utilized in the analysis and communication of business accounting data. Topics covered in this certificate include statistical analysis through the utilization of programming languages Python and R; relational data bases, data-mining, and business intelligence systems; and effective communication through the use of visualization tools.
The admissions requirements for this certificate program are the same as the Master of Science in Business Analytics (MSBA) program and the courses in this certificate program can be to applied to the MSBA and other GGU Master of Science degree programs. See Admission to Certificate Programs for more information.
All courses must be completed at Golden Gate University with a cumulative grade-point average (GPA) of 3.00 (“B” average) or better in courses taken at Golden Gate University that are applicable to the program’s requirements. See Graduate Student Academic Standing Standards for more information.
Course prerequisites are indicated in the course description for each course and must be satisfied prior to enrolling in a given course. Prerequisites may be satisfied through transfer of equivalent coursework from external institutions or by taking the courses at GGU.
Student Learning Outcomes
Students who successfully complete this certificate program will be able to:
- Interpret and manipulate complex data using R and Python.
- Determine reliable data sources and understand how to validate data.
- Develop storytelling techniques and create visual charts and pictures to communicate data findings.
- Design and implement dashboards in a business environment.
- Develop knowledge of a broad range of data types.
- Recognize and use various business intelligence tools to communicate information.
- Apply the programming languages Python and R to organize and analyze data.