Oct 15, 2019
Students must complete 88 units to graduate. In addition to the requirements listed here, students will complete approximately 23 units of electives. Electives include additional units from the lists below and other classes on a variety of subjects listed in the course schedules each term.
First Semester Courses - 15 units
Second Semester Courses - 15 units
First Summer Session Courses - 11 units
First Apprenticeship - Second Fall Semester
- Complete a full-time apprenticeship. Full-time is defined as a minimum of 30 hours per week for at least 15 weeks. Students may not earn clinic units in-place of their first apprenticeship. See the HLP Apprenticeships section of this handbook for more information.
- Complete a full-time or part-time apprenticeship. Students are allowed to earn extra externship and/or clinic units. See the HLP Apprenticeships section of this handbook for more information.
Additional Upper Division Required Courses - 5 units
California Bar Subject Courses - At least 8 units
Upper Division Writing Courses - At least 4 units
All students must complete at least 4 units from a number of courses which have
been certified as including:
- At least 15 pages of writing (approximately 4100 words) in one large assignment or multiple shorter assignments;
- Independent research; and
- A rewrite of a draft on which the student receives individualized written feedback from the professor.
These courses include:
- LAW - 727E Advanced Legal Research 2 unit(s)
- LAW - 732 Appellate Advocacy 2 unit(s)
- LAW - 869 California Legal Research 2 unit(s)
- LAW - 862A Environmental Law Journal Writer I 2 unit(s)
- LAW - 884 Independent Study 1-2 unit(s)
- LAW - 861A Law Review Writer 1-2 unit(s)
- Additional courses as identified in the course schedules for a particular semester or as approved by the Associate Dean or Director for Law Student Support in consultation with the Associate Dean for Academic Affairs.
- Law Review and Environmental Law Journal participation satisfies the requirement, provided the student drafts a note or comment of satisfactory length, receives feedback from a professor or senior editor, and revises the piece, as certified by the Associate Dean or Director for Law Student Support or their designee.
- Although all students must complete at least 4 units of Upper Division Writing Courses, these units are not included in calculating a student’s required course GPA.
Upper Division Experiential Courses - At least 6 units
- All students are required to complete at least 6 units of Upper Division Experiential Coursework. Students graduating in the full-time day program must complete at least 3 of these units through a clinic, externship or field placement (“Non-Simulation Courses”) listed below.
- Students graduating in the part-time program may complete all 6 units of this requirement with Simulation Courses, but are strongly encouraged to complete at least 3 units through Non-Simulation Courses.
Course information and schedule planners may be found on the Registrar’s Office website and in the Student Handbook available online. All students are encouraged to schedule academic advising appointments by visiting Law Student Support (suite 2333) or calling 415.442.6615.